The St. John’s Morgentaler Clinic
Unit 50 Hamlyn Road Plaza, Suite 408
St. John’s, NL
Toll free number: 1-800-755-2044
The St. John's Morgentaler Clinic opened October, 1990. As of January 1998, Newfoundland and Labrador women with MCP are fully insured, and therefore do not have to pay for abortion services at this clinic.
About the Abortion
- Appointments can be made during office hours by calling 709-754-3572.
- Your doctor can refer you to the Clinic, but we prefer that you call us yourself. This will give you the chance to ask questions or voice concerns you might have.
- All information you give us is strictly confidential.
- The Morgentaler Clinic performs abortions between 7 and 15 weeks of pregnancy, counting from the first day of the last normal menstrual period.
- Keep in mind that the earlier the abortion is performed, the safer it is for you.
- For women who are more than 15 weeks pregnant, we can provide information on services available to you outside the province.
- While you can expect to be at the Clinic for 3 to 4 hours, the actual abortion takes from 7 to 10 minutes.
- A local anaesthetic is used, as well as other pain-relieving medications, as deemed necessary.
- You cannot drive after you leave the Clinic.
While at the Clinic you will meet with a trained counsellor who will explain the procedure, provide birth control information, and give emotional support.
After the Abortion
- Patients must see their family doctor two weeks after the abortion for a check-up.
- A twenty-four hour emergency paging system is in place, seven days a week.
The Morgentaler Clinic provides women with safe, legal abortions
Please feel free to contact us at any time for more information on the services offered by the St. John's Morgentaler Clinic.
or email: email@example.com
Residents of NL, with a valid MCP: no fee.
Residents from outside of NL, or those residents not having a valid MCP: $740
This information contained on this website is intended for Canadian residents. 2008 Morgentaler Clinic. All Rights Reserved.